Tuesday, January 28, 2014

HARDWARE - My New ThinkPad Ubuntu Laptop

UPGRADE  TIME....

My Clevo Ubuntu (Linux) Notebook was getting long-in-the-tooth, and having sound problems.

So I got an upgrade from the fine people at Linux Certified.  The same people who shipped me the Clevo.

Here are the main specs:

  • Intel Quad-Core i5-3230M, 2.6 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache 64bit
  • Hard Drive 500 GB SATA
  • 3gb RAM
  • Display 15.6" HD at 1366 x 768 (aka Widescreen)
  • DVD Writer Dual Layer 
  • Built-in 10/100/1000 LAN
  • Integrated Mini-PCI 802.11 WiFi Card
  • Smart Li-Ion 6 cell battery
  • Had it pre-loaded with Ubuntu 13.10

Need I say, it's fast, and with that memory everything runs in memory.

This time I went with the Ubuntu (aka Unity) Desktop.

(click for larger view)


I had said in the past that I didn't like Unity, but now that I understand it, it's not that bad.  Also has less problems with some apps running GNOME Desktop.

The Unity Launcher (aka Strip) to the left is a combination Taskbar and Quick Launcher.  When you launch an app the app's icon will appear in the Strip marked with a white arrow that indicates its window is open.  If you minimize a window/app the Strip icon acts just like the button in the Windoz Taskbar, you click it to re-open the window

The addition is you can 'lock' an app's icon to the Strip, making it a quick-launch icon.  Every icon on my Strip shown above are quick-launch.

The main complaint I had against Unity is not having a treed-menu.  That is why I used GNOME Desktop on my old Clevo.  GNOME has a menu.

But there is a plug-in that puts a Classic Menu Button (Global Bar, top right) for Ubuntu.


You click this button and you get a classic tree menu, nice.








Here's a link to Lenovo's spec page.

Note that I have Steam installed.  Now I have a rig that can play games without a hitch.

No comments: