Monday, September 17, 2012

WINDOWS - A Better Start Menu

This post is about my suggestion on a way for users to have a better Start Menu in Windows.

To summarize, instead of having all applications listed under [Programs] in the Start Menu (WinXP), have categories of applications. Here's my Start Menu:



As you can see, I have expanded to my [Games], [Adventure & RPG] category.

How did I do this? Edit the Start Menu folder:


In my opinion, this type of Start Menu is much simpler to navigate that dumping everything under [Programs].

Also, the shortcuts in this scheme are only those needed to run the app, or those related and used regularly. (how may times are you actually going to use the "Uninstall" shortcut, so why have it?)

Also, after installing applications and coping the needed shortcuts to my scheme, I move its [Programs] entry to a [Smenu] folder I create in the home-folder of the app so I do not loose what the install created.

You can do this in Windows 7 where Start Menu folder paths are:
  • Win7 User Start Menu:
    C:\Users\profile-name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\
  • Win7 All Users Start Menu:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\ (normally this is a hidden folder)

Give it a try.

No comments: