Wednesday, March 4, 2009

WINXP - File Backup Alternative

As posted in a previous article on backups, most backup utilities (like WinXP's NTBackup) perform file backups. Also, as previously stated, file backups cannot backup files that are in-use.

Having said that, there is an alternative file backup utility that you can use, a good ZIP utility.

The ZIP utility I highly recommend is WinZIP Pro (see sidebar)

Recommend the Pro version for backups. Also, I highly suggest you download the WinZIP Command Line Support Add-On.

Why do file backups with WinZIP?
  • ZIP backup files are smaller than NTBackup files (which surprised me)
  • Using the Command Line Add-On is faster than the normal WinZIP GUI for large backups

The following is an example of using WinZIP's Command Line Add-On (wzzip.exe) to backup My Documents:

rem MyDocsZIP.cmd
@echo off
cls

rem THE FOLLOWING IS A SINGLE-LINE
"C:\Program Files\WinZip\wzzip.exe" -rp "C:\WinZIP_LoadZone\MyDocs.zip" "C:\Documents and Settings\profile-name\My Documents"
rem ENDS SINGLE-LINE

echo .
echo COPIED TO LOADZONE
echo .
pause

C:\WinZIP_LoadZone is a folder I use for WinZIP and download operations. This folder can be whatever you wish, EXCEPT My Documents.

You use Notepad to create a CMD file (see 1st line in example script), then create a shortcut to run it.

At work, I move MyDocs.zip to my private folder on our Fileserver. At home, I move MyDocs.zip to an external hard drive I use for backups.

Need I say, read the documentation on how to use WinZIP's Command Line Add-On.

No comments: