Thursday, March 5, 2009

WINXP - New nVidia Card Tool - nHancer

I have always used nVidia Video Cards, but since v178.n driver release there has been one feature that does not work properly. Specifically the 3D Settings panel with the Show programs on this computer enabled (checkbox).

Prior to v178.n, enabling this feature would AUTOMATICALLY list all programs recognized by nVidia on your system. Starting with v178.n it does NOT work.

Thanks to a nVidia Newsgroup post I was pointed to a tool that solves this problem and more.

nHancer (donationware), Advanced Control Panel and Profile Editor for nVidia cards


nHancer is the tool that empowers both experts and inexperienced users to fully utilize the possibilities of the graphic card.

Note that this tool ONLY deals with 3D Settings. The features I like are..

  • It does search and find the programs on your system

  • Your Custom Profiles (profiles you have changed from default) are color coded (light-blue Profile Names in screenshot)

  • You can create a Custom Profile for a group of programs (see below)

What I mean by "group of programs" = (as an example) I have 3 CSI games on my home PC, since I use the same 3D Settings for all 3, I just create a Custom Profile "CSI" and add the executable filename for each game to the Profile's list. Therefore, whenever I start any of the 3 CSI games, the same Profile is used.

Try it, you'll like it.


nHancer Main Dialog
(click to enlarge)

No comments: